As of August 1, 2022, the ban on cannabis for medical purposes in the Narcotics Act will be lifted. Medical cannabis can be prescribed by doctors without the approval of the FOPH.
On March 19, 2021, Parliament passed an amendment to the Narcotics Act (BetmG) that lifts the ban on cannabis for medical purposes. The change in the law will make it easier for thousands of patients to access cannabis medicines as part of their treatment.
The following regulations will apply from August 1, 2022:
– The ban on the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes is lifted.
– As a result of the change in the law, the cultivation, processing, production and trading of medicinal cannabis will be subject to the Swissmedic approval and control system
– The BAG no longer requires an exceptional permit for treatment with cannabis medicinal products
– The commercial export of cannabis for medical purposes is now permitted.
– In order to observe the development of the prescription of cannabis medicines and to gain more evidence on their effects, an accompanying data collection is carried out.
Picture (c) by Pure Holding AG